My dear, dear, lovely and beeeooouuutiful Mrs Santa,
It’s that time of the year again where the boys within all men would shed all inhibition and unabashedly ASK FOR CHRISTMAS goodies!
In case you think me ungrateful, let me assure you that I am eternally grateful for the gifts I received from my wish list last year.
Last year I asked for these:
1. One opportunity to complete my final year subspecialty training in Australia. (I am actually writing this in Melbourne, Australia! Awesome or what?!!!)
2. One permanent Infectious Disease Nurse in my clinic (they took away my very efficient nurse this year!) (A very competent and dedicated nurse was assigned to my ID clinic!)
3. A few papers to be published (I wanna make AP in 1.5 years) (only managed to publish ONE paper this year, the other being held up by the Malaysian Journal of Medicine, like, forever, claiming that they need more reviewers!)
4. One LESS Kampung Angkat Project to be handled by me as it is eating up whatever available time I have. (And it happened! I managed to ‘delegate’ one project for others to handle)
For the home:
1. One air conditioner for the living room (it’s like a sauna most days) (Got it!)
2. One refrigerator big enough for a family of 4 (now we salt and dry our food – just kidding…) (Didn’t get this one)
3. Some money to do some semi-minor repairs to the house, like a new roof or something… (Ditto…)
4. A new washing machine (one of those that wash, dry, iron and FOLD your clothes all at once) (Miraculously the old faithful washing machine is still spinning around merrily despite breaking down once or twice)
5. Optional: a 50″ LED TV. (heh heh…) (Got it, but it’s 8″ shorter but it’s alright)
For the family:
1. A dog for the girl (I withdraw this request, at least for now until she finishes the PMR exam and coming out tops!)
2. Kungfu/soldier/warrior/cow-boy/Ben-10 Alien Force or Alien Swarm toys for the boy (Many toys received and many more broken…)
3. A PSP 3 maybe? (Didn’t get this one – Santa kept it?!)
4. A wardrobe makeover for the missus (not exactly a makeover but we got some new clothes)
5. A new piano? (Nope! No sign of it)
6. A nice table lamp for the girl (Yup! Got the lamp!)
7. Some common sense for the boy (Still sorely lacking, unfortunately)
And World Peace? The frigging North Koreans just dropped a few dozen bombs on their Southern neighbours! Good grief…
But really, all in all, it has been a good year and I have much to thank God for (and you of course, lovely Mrs Santa *wink*).
For this year, I have decided to be humble and ask for only TWO gifts. It’s not that I have been bad this year; naughty yes, but certainly not bad. I am sure I deserve more and if I actually ask for more, surely you would approve.
But let’s make things simple (after all, the old guy, a.k.a Santa Claus, has to make the deliveries – let’s not tax his lumbago too much).
I would like to ask for 2…..iPads!
Well, I want one and my wife wants one too. I can’t afford to buy two (heck, I can’t even afford to buy one) and we don’t want to share (assuming we could afford to buy one).
Imagine the things that I could do with it! I could multitask! It’s so light! So portable! So stylish! My eyes would look brighter! I would look smarter and intelligent by just carrying (and flashing) it around! I could even make phone calls from it (never mind that it would look absurd holding it to my ears)!
I know, I know, the iPad is really just a glorified iPhone and I can’t really justify why I need this gadget when I already have an iPhone but isn’t that what toys are supposed to be? You don’t actually have to need them. You just need to WANT them!
And you must agree, the iPad would make such a wonderful coaster when it eventually breaks down.
So, what do you say?
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Sending this letter with all my love and more.