This is a message from the leader of the team, Messner, who will be taking us up Gunung Nuang on the 1st May 2008:
The climb is on!
The climbers confirmed so far would be Jimbo & 6 others from IMU, TS ( and maybe some friends of his), PL, BM & myself.
We will depart Seremban at 4.30 am.
Meeting place before departure :-
Kemayan Square at 4.20 am (situated in front of KPJ hospital) at the front 7-11 convenience store .
Please have your breakfast prior to that. You can have your breakfast at the mamak shop Al-WAZER at Kemayan Square which opens 24 hours. Any last minute purchase can be made at the 7-11 store. Any additional cars may be parked there for the whole day. No parking tickets since it is a public holiday.
It takes 1hr 30 mins to get to Nuang from Seremban (non-stop driving).
The actual climb starts latest by 6.00 am.
Things to note and bring:
1. At least 3.5 liters of water. Not advisable to drink from the water along the way unless you have water purifying tablets.
2. Food for lunch & some additional food along the way as this will be a long trek and food to eat to keep warm should there be a lot of rain and delays at river crossing.
3. Energy bars and the like.
4. Rain is expected. So bring your raincoat which is a must.
5. There are a number of river crossing (water level depend on amount of rain). So bring some change of socks, and clothing for change if you get wet during crossing. We have to watch out for hypothermia!
6. Shoes in good condition.Please check to make sure the grip is good and the sole is well glued as wet condition is expected. The last thing we want is losing the sole.
7. Walking stick, helps with the descend.
8. Torch, is a must. Make sure the batteries will last . By the time we come out it may be already dark. It is also for emergency in case of delay due to injuries. Many groups have been stranded up at Nuang and had to be rescued for various reasons.On our last trip to Nuang, we started climbing about 7.37 am and the last climber to come out was 9pm at night. Without a torch the climber would have been in total darkness. The descend was slow due to the rain and conditions became slippery. Bring some spare batteries.
9. Expect leeches!!! The middle camp is named ‘Pacat Camp’. From the base we will proceed to Lolo campsite about 1.5 to 2 hours. Then another 2 hours to Pacat Camp. From Pacat another 2 hours to summit.
10. Bring your handset and charge up the batteries. Will be useful in emergencies, though certain areas have no coverage.
Nuang is known to be not an easy trail for most. So be prepared.
TS will be leading the first group. Those who have very good fitness level can follow his group. If u cannot keep up with the pace, then slow down and wait for the 2nd group. Do not go on your own. There is a probability of getting lost.
PL will lead the 2nd group. Myself and Jimbo will be in this group.
Please let me know if I have missed out anything or if anyone has anything to add.
I have attached directions to get to Nuang.